The Board of Education has decided against using more than $300,000 of its operating budget towards secondary accident insurance for students participating in after-school activities.
The board approved a policy on first reading June 21 that states the district will not purchase the extra insurance, which acts as a secondary policy when a student is accidentally injured while playing sports or participating in another extra-curricular activity. The insurance would have covered costs not paid by a student's family's health insurance policy.
For the past two years, Brick has not funded the extra coverage, preferring to offer the policies to students for $76 per school year. However, the board decided to set aside $330,000 in its 2012-13 school year budget to pick up the cost once again.
After receiving quotes from insurance providers, it was determined Brick's policy would have cost $298,000 with a $500 deductible to be paid by the district, or $285,000 with a $1,000 deductible.
Last month the board reversed its earlier decision to reinstate the policy.
"We eliminated the policy, and no one was banging on the door saying they wanted to submit a claim," said Business Administrator Jim Edwards at the time.
Some parents have complained they were not notified of the change several years ago, however. To remedy that problem, board member Larry Reid said he will request the superintendent of schools put in place a system where parents will sign a waiver indicating they know policies are offered for a fee prior to their children participating in activities.
The measure will have to be adopted on second reading, presumably at the next board meeting, before it becomes official district policy.