.

Planners to Review Revised Plans for Proposed Roy Rogers

Application carried to board's Sept. 26 meeting

An application to construct a Roy Rogers restaurant near the corner of Brick Boulevard and Molly Lane will not be heard again until September to allow planners to examine a different conceptual plan.

The Brick Planning Board voted unanimously at its Wednesday meeting to again carry the application after proceedings were largely limited to direct and cross examination of traffic expert Daniel J. Laguardia by attorneys Ron Gasiorowski and Harvey York, respectively.

Through a series of direct questions from Gasiorowski to Laguardia (along with presentations of accompanying photographs taken by Laguardia), it was the intent to establish that the formula used by traffic engineer John Rea of Mansasquan-based McDonough and Rea Associates, was inaccurate in determining the number of cars waiting in line to turn from Brick Boulevard onto Molly Lane, and vice-versa. Those lines would be for the express purpose of accessing the proposed restaurant site, as well as the number of people leaving the restaurant to enter Brick Boulevard.

“The study (by Mr. Rea) showed a two to three-car queue, but in actuality, it’s more than that,” Laguardia said.

Laguardia’s photograph displayed a queue of nine cars and was taken between 5:30 and 5:45 p.m. in the evening.

In another photograph showing motorists exiting the present site, Laguardia said that taking a “peak-hour factor” into account is what led to his calculations of a nearly 20-car queue, as opposed to that of Rea.

“It was taken when peak traffic exited a nearby fitness center and office,” said Laguardia of his photograph.

On cross examination, York asked if Laguardia had a copy of his report in his possession at the meeting, but the witness conceded that he did not at the time.

“I appreciate the concerns (from Laguardia), but he doesn’t have the report,” said York.

Traffic engineer Michael Angelastro of Remington & Varnick Engineers in Haddonfield testified that he believed Rea’s report was acceptable.

It was also established that a second conceptual plan of the property, different from the first, relieved many of the apprehensions that board members may have had with the initial design — such as where the customer drive-through and loading areas of the proposed establishment would be.

Gasiorowski argued that the new conceptual plan could not be used by the board to determine the final vote on the application itself, claiming that “it was not part of the original application.” He continued that the conceptual plan was not reviewed by board professionals, and therefore not applicable for their decision.

Planner/Engineer Robert Sive explained that the main changes from the initial plan to the second, conceptual plan of the site were the reduction from 3,000 square feet to 2,000 square feet, and the relocation of the drive-through area from the center of the property to the rear of the property.

“There is no impact on variances, except for a reduction in impervious coverage, from 75 percent, to 69 percent,” said Sive.

Board Chairman Joseph Catalano liked that the drive-through area was moved, but added that he still thought “a lot was being asked” of this particular site.

As far as parking for the proposed restaurant, York said that the applicant had reached cross-over agreements with adjacent businesses for parking purposes. Gasiorowski replied that there’s no way to proceed through the site without crossing adjacent properties, but York said that parking had been reduced in the new conceptual plan and met ordinance requirements.

Both board member James Coakley and Coronato stated that their concerns over the originally submitted plan were alleviated, through the redesigned, “better” conceptual plan which was brought forward.

“The second plan seemed much more feasible,” said Coakley, in reference to the drive-through area.

Though members of the public were in attendance for the meeting, none chose to voice their views in the public comment portion.

The board will again hear the application at its Sept. 26 meeting, when the new conceptual plan will be examined.

michelle lee June 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
why don't they use the buildings that arbys was in on rt 70 next to fridays or cheeseburger cheeseburger in the shop rite plaza...its so sad to have all the business open up then close and leave the town with empty buildings
Amy Kenney June 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Isnt there a white castle going in where arbys was?
Rose Amato Liantonio June 29, 2012 at 01:00 PM
They should put another Denny's there, that was such a great place, don't know why they ever closed it.
Brickresident June 29, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Arent people FAT enough?
seemstobatrap June 29, 2012 at 01:12 PM
still think they need to build a indoor water partw/ a town pool&Rec center where foodtown was. can rent canoes, maybe some mini golf, Keep entertainment in our own town NOT needing to go to Seaside or Point. Will create Jobs here, & even have hotels down the street so if PPL want to do a weekend trip down the " shore" all year...Plus it give something for locals to do on the weekends without dealing with bennies at the beach...
Jersey Joe June 29, 2012 at 01:14 PM
Roy Rogers again in Brick? Next thing you know, they'll reopen Mr. Steak and Burger Chef too.
seemstobatrap June 29, 2012 at 01:16 PM
agreed ... LOL do you remember Beef steak charlies where the laureton circle use to be??? ( actually I think Ihop is part of where it was ))
sarah mullins June 29, 2012 at 02:01 PM
great idea
GaryR June 29, 2012 at 02:01 PM
What's up with such a complicated traffic plan now? That same location had been a restaurant for over 25 years and there weren't any issues with traffic previously. Let's not scare away another rateable folks! One thing that gets me is that a lot of people complain about what kind of business actually goes into a vacant spot...folks, if someone wants to come into town and open a new business and PAY THEIR TAXES...roll out the welcome mat! Especially in this economy. A Roy Rogers sure as heck beats another empty building with weeds growing around it.
sarah mullins June 29, 2012 at 02:02 PM
seems to me, anything logical doesn't fit in with planning boards or government , for that matter.
gina mauro June 29, 2012 at 02:03 PM
then you apparently will be dining elsewhere!
sarah mullins June 29, 2012 at 02:04 PM
apparently not, according to planning......their bottom line is money and anyway they can get it.
seemstobatrap June 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM
YES! would rather see something there then nothing... But cant they be creative??? Good pooint about the traffic... & what they see in June/july will be much diffrent then whatit will be inSept/ Oct
clyde June 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I thought the spot in question was supposed to be a Sonic? I thought the seniors in the neighborhood behind the area got that shot down. If that area is zoned for commercial use, what the hell?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »