As Hurricane Sandy approaches the Jersey Shore, emergency workers are reminding people that call volume skyrockets during a crisis. Many of the calls are non-emergency calls that could be better handled by another agency.
The following is a partial list of phone numbers to call releated to specific problems you may have:
Hurricane Readiness Tips: http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
- Power outages - JCP&L: 1-888-LIGHTSS (544-4877), a current power outage map is here. Atlantic Electric: 800-833-7476, a current power outage map here.
- Phone service or FIOS television, call Verizon: 1-800-837-4966
- Cable TV service, Cablevision: 866-633-0193; Comcast: 866-922-0693
- Ocean County Office of Emergency Management, call 732-341-3451.
- Atlantic County Office of Emergency Management, call (609) 909-7200
- Monmouth County Office of Emergency Management, call (732) 431-7911
- Cape May County Office of Emergency Management, call (609) 463-6570
- Statewide traffic map from State Police, DOT is here at NJ511.