Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Disaster Aid Questions

FEMA releases a new FAQ for those affected by Hurricane Sandy.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) released the following Q&A on this month, with some of the most commonly asked disaster aid questions. For additional Q&As, go to www.fema.gov/SandyNY.


I submitted my papers for disaster assistance but have not heard anything, how long does it take to hear back?

If you submitted an application for assistance due to damage to your home, a FEMA-contracted inspector should contact you to schedule an appointment within 10 days of registering. If you are seeking other forms of assistance, and you have completed and mailed in your SBA disaster loan application, you should receive an eligibility letter within 10 days of returning your paperwork. If 10 days have passed and you haven’t heard from us, call the FEMA toll-free Helpline 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585.)

If you were asked to provide additional documentation and did so and have not heard back, call the helpline as well.

How can I extend my FEMA rental assistance?

To receive additional temporary rental assistance, you must complete the Continuing Need form with all the applicable information and mail it back to us at the address printed on the form. If you don’t have the form, contact FEMA’s toll-free Helpline.



What should I do if I’m still waiting on my flood insurance settlement?

Contact your claims adjuster or carrier to see if you may be eligible for an expedited flood insurance payment to cover repairs of your home’s mechanicals damaged in the disaster. You can call the NFIP Help Center 800-427-4661 to address questions about your flood insurance claim or payment.

Why am I required to build above the minimum elevation requirement?

Each community develops their own local building requirements. You should contact your community’s floodplain manager to discuss elevation requirements for your property. Elevation requirements are meant to protect your home from future flood damages. In general, if your home is located in a high-risk area, the higher you build above the base flood elevation, the lower your premium and potential for flood damage.


Is there money available to elevate/mitigate my home?

There may be assistance available to help you mitigate your home.

  • If you applied for a Small Business Administration (SBA) loan and it was approved, you may be eligible for additional funds to cover the cost of improvements – such as elevating your home – to protect your property against future damage. Contact SBA at 800-659-2955 (TTY 800-877-8339) or e-mail disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information.
  • If you already had a flood insurance policy before the storm, and your home was substantially damaged, you may be eligible to receive up to $30,000 in increased cost of compliance coverage to elevate your home after you file your claim. Talk to your insurance agent to determine if you’re eligible.
  • FEMA provides hazard mitigation grants to states for activities such as structure elevation, property acquisition, and flood proofing. The state determines which activities will be funded with hazard mitigation grants. To learn more about these grants, visit www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-assistance or contact your local floodplain manager for more details.
Vincent A.Timoni January 27, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Fema has helped very well and very quickly...but far short of my financial needs my insurance Co has assisted .but to a very small amt. with lots of excuses..any honest grants available to Seniors on Barrier Island ??


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »