Local fire authorities rushed to the scene of a two-alarm blaze at a residence located at 112 Altier Ave. just before 4 p.m. this afternoon, according to the Brick Bureau Chief of Fire Safety.
Fire Marshal Kevin Batzel said that Brick Fire District No. 1 first responded to the call on Altier Avenue, and were quickly assisted by Fire District 2, as well. Firefighters on scene discovered that an unattended candle ignited a stack of magazines in an upstairs bedroom, causing the fire.
“There was damage to that bedroom, some smoke damage. There was a smoke condition present, leading to the second alarm,” said Batzel.
The fire marshal added that those who responded to the scene used thermal imaging equipment to ensure that the fire had not spread to areas of the home they weren’t able to see, as a safety precaution.
“There is some minor damage in that bedroom which they’ll have to clean up, but the home is habitable,” Batzel explained.