The trial of a Brick Township man charged in a fatal boating accident in Aug. 2008 is set to begin soon after being pushed back from the fall, officials said.
Anthony Digilio, now 33, is facing charges of vehicular homicide and assault after authorities say he fled the scene of a late-night boating accident near Gunner's Ditch at the mouth of the Metedeconk River and Barnegat Bay.
Jury selection in the case is currently scheduled for March 26 with the trial expected to begin April 2, said Senior Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Hillary Bryce.
"We're hoping, looking at it, that it will be done in the month of April," Bryce said.
Delays in taking the case to trial have been due to Digilio's attorney, Joseph Tacopina of New York City, being busy with other cases there, said Bryce.
Robert Post, a 49-year-old Essex Fells resident who was piloting a 17-foot Boston Whaler, died in the accident which occurred when his boat collided with Digilio's. Several other people were injured, two seriously.
After the accident, authorities began hunting for the second boat involved.
On Aug. 5, 2008, authorities seized Digilio's 27-foot Imperial performance boat, which they said had been involved in the crash. At the time, Digilio's then-attorney William Cunningham told the Newark Star-Ledger that his client hit something that night, but was not sure what it was. Cunningham said Digilio stopped the boat, did not hear or see anything, then proceeded on his way, an article published in the newspaper said.
If convicted, Digilio faces 10 years behind bars for the vehicular homicide charge and 18 months each for the two assault by vessel charges.