News Alert
Monsignor Donovan High School to 'Refresh' Its…

Senior Hospitalized After Triggering Chemical Reaction at Home

Reedy Drive man used bleach and sulfuric acid to unclog a drain, police said

A Reedy Drive resident was hospitalized today after being exposed to hazardous fumes in his home.

The 74-year-old male resident called police before 11 a.m. this morning to report his home filling with fumes after he inadvertently caused a chemical reaction while trying to unclog a toilet. The resident used bleach Wednesday night to try to unclog the drain, police Capt. John Rein said, and followed that up with sulfuric acid this morning.

The combination of the bleach and sulfuric acid caused a chemical reaction producing foam and fumes, Rein said.

The resident was transported to Ocean Medical Center for treatment after reporting difficulty breathing. His dog also showed effects from the fumes and was turned over to a family member, Rein said.

Brick police, Pioneer Hose and Breton Woods fire companies, EMS, Monoc paramedics and the Berkeley Township Hazardous Materials Response Team all responded to the scene. The home was declared safe to enter at 1:30 p.m., Rein said.

Chu-Man-Fu April 13, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Two Words : PLUN-GER
Joan April 13, 2012 at 01:40 PM
And how many times have you heard NOT to mix bleach with other chemicals, ammonia being one of them, but sulfuric acid? Can you say "senior moment"?
Jacy Elsesser April 13, 2012 at 06:31 PM
For slow bath drains because of hair, check out The Drain Claw at http://www.thedrainclaw.com. You can unclog your drain without dangerous chemicals.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »