Lanes Mill Road Elementary School was evacuated for a gas leak Friday, leaving students and staff outside in the cold for about 30 minutes as firefighters and the gas company responded.
A four-inch gas main going into the building was leaking, said Brick Fire Prevention Director Kevin Batzel said, and firefighters secured the school to make sure no explosive substances might react with the gas.
The school was ventilated over the course of an hour, though once the leak was fixed by NJNG and the school determined safe 30 minutes later, the students and staff were allowed to return.
However the heat was off the rest of the school day due gas leak’s proximity to the boiler, until further repairs were complete, Batzel said.
At around 12:30 p.m. Herbertsville Station 24 responded to the school, which had been evacuated after a smell of gas. New Jersey Natural Gas responded with a supervisor and two staff vehicles to also investigate, said Batzel.
Herbertsville sent one truck to investigate, led by Capt. David Sanchez.
No injuries were reported, Batzel said.