Coast Guard Not Identifying Diver Who Died

Man was on Sea Lion based in Brielle

The Coast Guard is not releasing the name, age, hometown or any other information about

All information is being withheld at least until the conclusion of an ongoing investigation and it is not yet known how long that investigation will take, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Cynthia Oldham of Coast Guard Public Affairs.

The man had been diving from The Sea Lion, a commercial diving vessel based at Union Landing Marina, Union Lane, Brielle, and was about three mlles offshore when he was reported in distress, according to the Coast Guard.

Owners of the Sea Lion could not immediately be reached for comment.

Coast Guard watchstanders at Station Manasquan Inlet received a radio hail via VHF-FM channel 16 at approximately 8:40 a.m. Sunday from a crewmember aboard the commercial dive vessel Sea Lion reporting a dive accident. The crewmember stated a diver exited the water experiencing shallow breathing and was in need of medical assistance.

A 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew, including two emergency medical technicians, from Station Manasquan Inlet arrived on scene at about 9:05 a.m. The two technicians went aboard the Sea Lion to assist the man while the MLB and Sea Lion crews transited back to the station.

Upon arrival, the man was transferred to awaiting members of the Point Pleasant First Aid and Emergency Squad and Monoc Paramedics and transported to Ocean Medical Center, in Brick, where he was pronounced dead.

“It is important for people who go out on the water to have some training in first aid and medical supplies on their vessels in case of emergency. In this case, everyone aboard the Sea Lion was certified in CPR and were first aid responders who took immediate action to try and help this man until officials arrived,” said Petty Officer 2ndClass Robert McNamara, a crewmember from the station.

Patch will update this story if more information becomes available.

C May 08, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I don't understand why his identity is being withheld. I understand his family needs to be notified but why the secret?
Denise Di Stephan May 08, 2012 at 12:14 AM
This is the Coast Guard's standing policy they always use with the media, as they have told us a number of other times with past incidents. Oldham said that at some point, when the investigation is concluded, they may (not guaranteed) release the name if we file a FOIA request (a written request for information), so we'll stay on it as best we can. Meanwhile, if anyone has any information on the identity, please let us know by emailing me at denise.distephan@patch.com. Of course we will not publish any name without confirming. Thank you.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »