Nobody was injured in a fire that rendered a house in the township's Herbertsville section uninhabitable Thursday afternoon.
The fire at the ranch-style home at 512 Albermarle Road, which was reported at 2:30 p.m., led to a general alarm that brought out all four of the township's fire companies, Fire Marshall Kevin Batzel said.
Batzel said the fire is officially still under investigation, but it is believed that improperly disposed-of ash from a wood burning stove is responsible for starting the fire.
The fire started outside of the home and worked its way in, Batzel said, and the homeowner later told investigators that ash from the stove had been disposed of outside the home in the morning.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes, said Batzel.
The Herbertsville, Laurelton, Pioneer Hose and Breton Woods fire companies all responded, as well as the Point Pleasant Borough fire company.
Several EMS squads also responded, though there were no injuries reported.
Batzel said all local residents should ensure that heating devices such as wood burning stoves are safe for use, especially since people are more likely to use them during the current cold snap.
"Make sure that they're properly installed, and if they're in use, that they're constantly checked," he said.