Senior Hospitalized After Triggering Chemical Reaction at Home
Reedy Drive man used bleach and sulfuric acid to unclog a drain, police said
A Reedy Drive resident was hospitalized today after being exposed to hazardous fumes in his home.
The 74-year-old male resident called police before 11 a.m. this morning to report his home filling with fumes after he inadvertently caused a chemical reaction while trying to unclog a toilet. The resident used bleach Wednesday night to try to unclog the drain, police Capt. John Rein said, and followed that up with sulfuric acid this morning.
The combination of the bleach and sulfuric acid caused a chemical reaction producing foam and fumes, Rein said.
The resident was transported to Ocean Medical Center for treatment after reporting difficulty breathing. His dog also showed effects from the fumes and was turned over to a family member, Rein said.
Brick police, Pioneer Hose and Breton Woods fire companies, EMS, Monoc paramedics and the Berkeley Township Hazardous Materials Response Team all responded to the scene. The home was declared safe to enter at 1:30 p.m., Rein said.